Welcome to Canonbie and District
Canonbie is a dispersed rural community in the South of Scotland, (Pop.1500 approx) very close to the English border. Forestry, agriculture, and tourism are key areas of employment. The development of the district has been heavily influenced by Buccleuch Estates, who own most of the land.
As well as Canonbie itself, (Pop.450) a pretty village on the banks of the Border Esk river, with playing fields, bowling green, and tennis courts, a busy village hall, and an active and attractive church, the local area includes a number of smaller settlements, including Claygate, Hollows, Harelaw, Rowanburn, Glenzier, and Chapelknowe.
Canonbie was the main population centre within the Debateable Lands bounded on the west by the River Sark, to the east by the Mearburn and Liddel Water on the north by the Irvine Burn and Tarras Water and on the south by the Border Esk.In the past, the main families holding land and exerting influence in the area were the Grahams Armstrongs, Elliots and Bells.
Canonbie Parish had an Augustinian Priory at Hallgreen, dating back to about 1165. The priory was destroyed during the reign of Henry VIII after the Battle of Solway Moss in 1542.
Canonbie is in an advantageous location within an attractive rural setting, yet close to major transport routes and urban centres. It is an attractive location for young families, commuters and retirees, and has supported traditional rural pursuits such as fishing , shooting and walking.Local people are committed to protecting their environment, and supporting the growth of local businesses and services.
The area attracts anglers from all over the UK and beyond, in pursuit of seatrout and the wild Atlantic salmon