Canonbie and District History
Canonbie was the main population centre within the Debateable Lands bounded on the west by the River Sark, to the east by the Mearburn and Liddel Water on the north by the Irvine Burn and Tarras Water and on the south by the Border Esk.In the past, the main families holding land and exerting influence in the area were the Grahams Armstrongs, Elliots and Bells.
Canonbie the village
The original village of Canonbie was on the other side of the Esk near to the Priory. The current village was called 'The Bowholm'
Canonbie Parish had an Augustinian Priory at Hallgreen, dating back to about 1165. The priory was destroyed during the reign of Henry V111after the Battle of Solway Moss in 1542.
Visit the residence of the famous Johnnie Armstrong, whose fate at the hands of James V is the subject of many Border songs and laments.
The National Library of Scotland web site has some great old maps. These are really useful for those of us searching for places that have vanished and are not on the more recent Ordnance survey maps NLS Maps